Friday 5 February 2010

Psycho chicken

It’s a milestone birthday for my Mother this year (clue - she’s past 50 and not yet in her 60s....). so in order for her to go away on holiday, safe in the knowledge that all’s well at home, I have agreed to spend the week in Shropshire looking after her six hens – Rose, Petal, Hyacinth, Esmée, Violet and Gertrude.

One small problem – it would appear that Hyacinth has anger management issues. Since coming into lay she will attack anyone who disturbs her during this delicate time. My poor Mother had to fend her off with a bucket as she tried to climb her arm and peck her face off.

Imagine me, alone in this house for a week. How long do you think it would be before anyone found me; lying at the foot of the coop, a veritable chicken buffet?

I’m thinking of investing in a taser.

2 comments:

  1. Delighted to see that you are my first follower! Thank you. I can see your problem re your mum's 6 chickens, but am sure your usual ingenuity will enable you to come up trumps.
    Sounds as if your mum could be hitting the same birthday as me this year! Hope she has a lovely holiday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gill – Love your WI blog and delighted to be your first follower!
    I was chatting with my mother today; she intends to get MORE hens, thankfully after I’ve done my stint of chicken-sitting. I made it quite clear that if psycho-chicken tries to take me out she’ll come home to find it in a stew.....

    ReplyDelete