Saturday 5 December 2009

Wool envy

I'm crap at knitting - there, I’ve said it. Phew, sometimes just being honest with the world is wonderfully refreshing.

It's not that I don't like knitting; it's just that there are several key skill sets to be a good at it that I simply don’t possess:

1. Patience
2. Creative flair
3. The ability to keep count

So, it's with great envy that I admire the handiwork of those more competent than I. Take for instance my amazingly talented colleague Rebecca. Now, that's a girl that can knit! Her pièce de résistance is tea cosies. This is extremely fortunate as I have a teapot in desperate need of a jumper. So, over our Departmental Christmas curry we struck up this reciprocal deal - one tea cosy for a supply of River Cottage Croydon eggs. Brilliant, everyone’s a winner.

Like most of these crafts Rebecca's obviously learned this skill from her Mum. I became aware of the full extent of Mrs Glover’s knitting talents when Rebecca sent me the following photos on Friday.





Mrs Glover and her fellow members of the Little Chalfont (evening) Women’s Institute knitted this incredible nativity scene for the children of St George’s school.




Wow – Ladies, I salute you. These are quite simply the most awesome knitted items i have ever seen! I'd like to single out the ginger Archangel Gabriel and the wise men with the wispy beards for a special mention.




I'm so inspired by your efforts I’m going to continue to add to the 3.5 inches of scarf I managed to cobble together back in Winter 2007. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa - thanks for the brilliant mention in your blog, so glad you liked our knitting. Will send you photos of the next one in the spring.
    Have put a link to your blog on my Twitter!!
    Hope Margot and Jerry are keeping well - they look very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, I look forward to seeing what Spring has to offer - an Easter theme perhaps?

    Thanks so much for tweeting about the blog; i think it's the first time we've made it onto Twitter!

    M&J are very happy indeed having just demolished a load of my young broccoli plants while free-ranging. I'm going to have to invest in some protective netting for the New Year..

    ReplyDelete