Sunday 5 July 2009

Back (for good) to reality


So, here we are, one week to the very day since I completed my STEP ON IT challenge. The last seven days have been very reminiscent of the first week back after my Honeymoon almost five years ago. You spend so much time preparing for the big day, that once it's over you're not quite sure what you used to do with your life before worrying about table favours, who's picking up the cake and will the best man be dying his hair a frightful shade of peroxide blonde(the answer to the latter was yes)?

So, I’ve tried to keep myself busy post-challenge with a number of things:

1. Ebay - as several people have pointed out a pleasant side-effect of the walking has been the shedding of a few unwanted pounds. So, I’ve been selling some of my nicer too-big clothes on Ebay. This is beneficial in two ways; firstly it's an incentive to keep the weight off, secondly I’ve been using the proceeds to buy new clothes. I'm sat here typing this in a (large) size 8 denim skirt. The last time I squeezed my ample backside into any item of single digit-sized clothing Gareth Southgate’s penalty was saved by the Germans in a European Championship semi-final (that was a grim evening for us Villa fans). Ask a boy if you can't work out the year.

2. Take That - I’m not what you'd describe as a huge Take That fan - in fact I remember laughing at my then colleagues at Office International who cried when their split was announced on Radio 1 (ironically, the same year as Southgate's missed penalty). This didn't deter me from traipsing over to Wembley on Wednesday to see them in concert, courtesy of one of Mr Swift's corporate freebies. A good time was had by all; my lovely friend Lynn Rouse was also there so it was more of a mate’s night out than a stuffy corporate affair. The box we were in (yes, box - no slumming it for Rouse and I) was two away from the Beckhams. Sadly there was no sign of David and Victoria; I am reliably informed by The Sun they were busy having marital problems in the South of France.

3. The garden - River Cottage Croydon has taken a bit of a back seat in the last two weeks, so I’ve lavished it with tender loving care all weekend. I am starting to see the first harvests of veg other than lettuce. All my garlic is now up and either made into soup or drying. I've just unearthed my first potatoes of the season - 1.5kg of Swifts (we like to keep it in the family). I will be scoffing most of them for dinner this evening.

4. Walking - yes, you read that correctly. Now I’m free from the shackles of enforced walking I’m still keeping it up. Went for a nine mile stroll this lunchtime; it was nice to know it was out of choice, not necessity.

Finally, just want to say thanks again to all of you who've sponsored me. My total is now at £419, and I’m still waiting for a couple more sponsors (my dad and the cats). Speaking of cats, today’s picture gives you an idea of what I have to put up with living with Max and Eli. Max is very fond of the new computer and likes to sit in front of the screen at every available opportunity. Happy days!

P.s – Federer has just won Wimbledon. I think anyone that sells their soul to Satan and appears in those terrible Gillette adverts should be banned indefinitely from re-entering polite society, let alone major sporting events.

No comments:

Post a Comment