Saturday 25 July 2009

Shopping frenzy


I always find shopping for weddings outfits a slightly hysterical experience. I know from my own time as a bride that you couldn’t care less what people wear just as long as they turn up, have a good time and don’t get too pissed before dinner. At our wedding not everyone managed to comply with the latter, but the alcohol bill suggested a good time was certainly had by all.

Despite being armed with this insider knowledge i still ended up on a frantic mission to secure a new frock for R&C’s Danish wedding next weekend.

I found myself at Westfields, the shiny new mega-mall over in White City. Am i the only one that finds those gigantic shopping meccas absolutely terrifying? Years ago when i lived in Sunderland i visited the Metro centre at Gateshead, which was then the largest of its kind in Europe. I got spectacularly lost and ended up in a blind panic desperately trying to locate the exit. The same thing happened to a lesser extent on Thursday. On the plus side, i did get myself kitted out.

I'm busy preparing for my Mum’s arrival on Thursday – she’s kindly agreed to cat/garden sit whilst we’re away. She’s bringing with her a new duvet and pillowcases set to, and I quote, 'save me from doing any washing’. Whilst this is such a sweet gesture it also implies my mother thinks i own just the one duvet cover....

River Cottage Croydon is in full produce mode. Got the last of the potatoes up on Monday and some of them were large enough to use for baking. I also picked my first courgette. Like Hugh, i employ the ‘rule of thumb’ to harvesting – if the courgette is longer than one of your fingers you can pick them. If you’ve ever seen my tiny hands you’ll understand how ridiculous that belief system is.

I’ve also become a little bit obsessed with playing a quiz game on the Xbox called 1 Vs 100. You compete live with thousands of other players worldwide for prizes. It's now my life’s ambition to be chosen as 'the one'.

Anyway, best be off to interact with the real word.

No comments:

Post a Comment