Tuesday 12 May 2009

Bolly good company

Another 6am start this morning - four miles in 58 minutes. Boy, was it cold. I really feel for those poor souls who train for the London Marathon during the winter.

On the subject of running, lots of people have asked why I’m doing a walking event rather than running? Well, running and I have a chequered history (I’m hardly sporting the build of a long-distance athlete). On the other hand I really enjoy walking. I’d much rather walk for an hour than catch a tube or bus; it’s a great way to get to know the city you live in. Finally, I know lots of friends and colleague who run great distances and they all seem to have some kind of painful musculoskeletal woes. This leads me to the completely unscientific conclusion that running’s really bad for your health.

The only downside I can see to walking is it takes so bloody long to get anywhere, even at a fast pace. This is why an iPod is essential company. I’ve been trying to put together playlists for my walks and so far haven’t got any further than my favourite Bollywood soundtracks. I’ve never kept quiet about my love of Indian cinema; on my trip to Rajasthan last year I was more excited about visiting the Raj Mandir cinema in Jaipur than the Taj Mahal. Top of my playlist is the Dhoom:2 soundtrack – think Mission Impossible with extremely cheap special effects and a plethora of upbeat dance numbers. By July I fully expect to be singing fluently in Hindi.

No comments:

Post a Comment