Tuesday 16 June 2009

I love research!


I’ve just got back from one of my favourite Breast Cancer Campaign events, our annual Induction Day. The event, in its ninth year (I’ve been to seven of them), is designed to bring together our newly funded scientists with Campaign’s staff, Trustees and Scientific Advisory Board members. We split the day into two halves - the scientists talk about their research in the morning and Campaign’s staff talk about what they do in the afternoon. Hopefully, by the end of the day we all know a little bit more about our ground breaking research and the scientists understand the dedication and perseverance of Campaign’s staff and supporters (and how they can help us to raise even more money).

I have the great privilege of suggesting the scientific speakers and it’s a wonderful opportunity for me to share some of my favourite new research projects with staff and scientists alike. Here’s a few of the research questions that our new researchers are answering right now:

· Can a type of physiotherapy called myofacial release help to improve the lack of mobility and pain people experience in their upper arm after breast cancer surgery and radiotherapy?

· Can we design a brand new way of treating breast cancer by putting a gene into breast cancer cells that causes them to self-destruct, leaving healthy cells intact?

· Are a group of cells called cancer stem cells responsible for people’s breast cancer returning after treatment? If so, can we develop ways to kill these stem cells and prevent the cancer from recurring?

I am inspired by what I hear at every Induction Day, not just from the scientists but also the dedication of our staff. It’s motivated me to keep on going with the walking, and I know however much I raise will be a step in the right direction (no pun intended) to helping us support event more research.

I won’t go on about the current economic climate but as Liz (our Director of Fundraising) pointed out in her talk this afternoon there are around 20,000 active charities all vying for your cash right now. Each person is motivated to raise funds for Campaign for very different reasons; mine is the unwavering belief that Campaign’s research does and will continue to make a huge difference to the 550,000 people alive in the UK who have been diagnosed with breast cancer, and those people who’ll be diagnosed in the future.

I guess a spot of exercise and a few inconvenienced weekends seems like a small price to pay in return.

P.S – On a more flippant note, I’ve calmed down 1000 per cent since last night’s Apple-directed tirade (a note to Steve Jobs, it’s probably safe for you to pop round our house now). The iTunes issue still isn’t resolved; however I have (unrealistically) high hopes for this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment