Monday 1 June 2009

Week five round-up


Apologies for the lack of recent posts. I’ve been visited by both sets of parents over the last two weekends, so my opportunities to write have been very limited. Had a very lovely time with Dad, Marg and Scott this weekend. I felt terribly guilty for using them as slave labour to shift the three ton of topsoil that was delivered on Friday. Still, there’s no such thing as a free lunch (or board and lodgings) in our house.

Sunday saw me completed a ten mile walk in 159 minutes – a very respectable time given the temperature. Thankfully I have my camelbak (a combined rucksack/water carrier) otherwise I would have collapsed of exhaustion on Shirley golf course, never to be seen again…..

Anyway, things we have learned from week five of training:

1. Walking ten miles can be extremely enjoyable. No, honestly it can!

2. Cats are the axis of evil. They may pretend to love you, but at some point they’ll bring a live bird into your living room and you’ll spend over an hour trying to get the thing out alive

3. If you think you need three tons of topsoil to fill your raised beds, you’ll actually only require two tons. You’ll then have to endure your family reminding you of exactly why you had to re-sit your GSCE maths exam

4. A note to motorists – just because you’re in a steel box doesn’t give you the right to assume your journey is in any way superior to mine. It’s a good job I don’t own a handgun otherwise there would have been a few fatalities in the Addiscombe/West Wickham/Shirley area this weekend.

Another strange week looms. It’s Mum and Terry’s silver wedding anniversary party on Saturday so I’ll be heading back to sunny Shropshire to meet up with the rest of the family. I’m also going to have to do a twelve mile walk in a village that has next to no paths and lots of crazy country roads. Highly likely I’ll be run over by a Landrover.

Nice knowing you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment