Saturday 20 June 2009

Pollen, Garlic, Hooowwwwwllllll


What a blissful way to start the weekend - I’m sat in my study (at my shiny new computer) looking out over the garden, wondering what on earth I’m going to do with abundance of fruit ripening nicely on my apple tree (I’m leaning towards cider).

The only thing spoiling this scenario is the puffy eyes and streaming nose courtesy of my arch nemesis, pollen. I’ve had hay fever for the last 20 years but for some reason this season is particularly bad. For someone who spends a great deal of time in the garden, this is not cool.

This week has been pretty easy going on the training front; just a couple of six-mile midweek jaunts. Six miles really is nothing now, I can do it well within the 90 minutes recommended in my training schedule. However, tomorrow’s 16 miler looms menacingly in the background. My clothes and trainers are sitting in a pile, ready for me to drag myself out of bed early doors in order to get round in time to still have some of the day left to enjoy. Last week’s 14 miler wasn’t the nightmare it could have been, so pollen permitting it could be ok.

I should really mention the crushing tiredness that’s probably making the pollen appear ten times worse than it actually is. I had a very late night/early morning thanks to Andrew Maxwell and his merry band of fullmooners (hooowwwwwllllll) . As per usual, Maxwell overran by a good 40 minutes, meaning that Waterloo had closed for the night by the time we got there. Cue much frantic TFL checking on the iPhone (Natalie) and desperate attempts to locate bus stop D (Me). 50 minutes later we arrive in deepest, darkest Penge. I’m not complaining – the gig was a riotous laugh, and ended with Des Bishops's Gaelic rendition of House of Pain’s ‘Jump Around’. Des was accompanied on stage by Maxwell, three breakdancers and a giant dancing purple cow. If that’s not worth braving a trip on the night bus, I don’t know what is.
Anyway – will leave you all to your respective Saturday pursuits. I plan to spend the day repotting chili plants and picking my first garlic of the season. Can’t make my mind up whether to roast the bulbs whole or make a garlic soup. Either way, I apologise in advance to any Campaign staff that have to speak to me next week – its’ going to be a fragrant experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment